I Am in Love With Bratislava

Budapest was great but I felt more at home in Bratislava, Slovakia. My DNA directly traces back to this city and area (partially). There is an energy in Bratislava that I connect with and an eclectic creativity that I would love to tap into perhaps in a future trip. Slovaks are well educated and value erudition - a signature attribute of the culture.

One of my favorite views in Bratislava as you approach 
Michael's Gate in the old city

"Working man" chocolates in the shape of wrenches, railroad spikes, locks and more. An example of the creativty that abounds here.

Posing with the mascot of the city!

The UFO Observation Tower straddling the Danube is another iconic landmark. We walked around on the very top. Minimal guardrails and lots of whistling freezing cold wind and great views!

This repurposed bomb shelter is now home to a unique tea shop! Surprisingly Vedic mantras play as you go down the steep stairway. It was filled with couples each sharing a table in various nooks. 
Great decor as well!

Matthew and I at Michael's Gate-
oldest remaining gate of the city dating back to 1700's when the area was a fortress

Michael's Gate from distance.



We toured Bratislava Castle and learned a lot about the days of the Iron Curtain, and the split up of the Czech Republic and Slovakia in the Velvet Revolution. Everywhere in Bratislava there are  monuments and displays commemorating the freedom of Slovakia from Communism. It was not so long ago and people value their freedom here and turn out to vote, etc. 


Of course, churches and cathedrals with great architecture and art.


We loved this building with artwork in each window.

View from the Bratislava castle. 


I could picture myself living in one of these homes-at least temporarily. Our visit was much too short! Cost of living here is somewhat less than USA. In the smaller cities noticeably less.


A highlight for us was a Dvorak and Beethoven concert at the Bratislava Philharmonic. We were sorely underdressed. The natives had on their best finery. I tried to pull something together from my limited western clothes...but alas! The orchestra and guest cellist were superb!




This shopping and residential area called Eurovia was along the Danube and featured some great shopping and restaurants. We felt that Bratislava was much more vegetarian friendly and we had our best meals here.


Bratislava breakfast with hot chocolate as thick as pudding!



On the way to Bratislava, we passed through many small villages nestled along the mountains- a very special moment for me. Logging was going on and we saw tilled land waiting for the spring crops of sugar beets, barley, etc. We stopped in the small town from where my great grandmother immigrated in 1910. I had no exact address only the church to go on. When she immigrated the country was very poor and troubled. She must have missed this beautiful land as she struggled and succeeded in Cleveland, Ohio as a small shop owner to make a life for her seven daughters- one of them my paternal grandmother. 


I imagine she lived in a home like this....


This sums it up!



This is my last few hours here in an Airbnb waiting to taxi to the airport. This is the end of the road for the epic 2019-2020 trip abroad. I still have some European photos to share. Hopefully when I reach Iowa in a day or two....

Comments

  1. This way my colleague Wesley Virgin's adventure starts in this shocking and controversial video.

    You see, Wesley was in the army-and soon after leaving-he unveiled hidden, "mind control" secrets that the CIA and others used to get whatever they want.

    THESE are the EXACT same SECRETS lots of celebrities (especially those who "became famous out of nothing") and elite business people used to become wealthy and successful.

    You probably know that you only use 10% of your brain.

    That's because most of your BRAINPOWER is UNCONSCIOUS.

    Maybe that expression has even taken place INSIDE your very own brain... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's brain about 7 years ago, while driving a non-registered, trash bucket of a car without a driver's license and with $3.20 on his banking card.

    "I'm so frustrated with going through life paycheck to paycheck! When will I get my big break?"

    You took part in those questions, isn't it right?

    Your very own success story is going to start. Go and take a leap of faith in YOURSELF.

    Take Action Now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts