I am learning Tibetan Buddhist Art called Thangka

When I was in Nepal last year, I fell in love with the Tibetan Buddhist art form called Thangka. It is an unique art form for the artist. It induces a state of meditation and deep focus. For the viewer or owner of the artwork it imparts a sense of serenity, healing and bliss. Until recent times, Thangka Art could only be learned in Tibetan Buddhist monasteries.

Here is a sample of Thangka art

My teacher is a young man named Bibek Ghiseng. He is an accomplished Thangka artist and a fun and patient teacher.


So far I have had two days of instruction and it has been great! I am starting by learning sketching on paper. Later I will actually do painting. There is a lot of geometry in Thangka Art. (Yikes!) I told my teacher to start me out slowly so I am currently working on Buddha.

The more precisely you can sketch and paint the more powerful, compelling and effective your artwork will be.  My "work in progress" is behind me. Traditionally you work on the floor with your paper or canvas upright.


My Buddha Day One. At this point he is mostly geometrical lines and measurements.


My Buddha Day Two. Today he starts to take form! Traditionally the teacher does the features of the face and "wakes the painting up". At one point the student gets advanced enough to do it on his or her own. 


Comments

  1. Good for you Marie! So thrilled that you are following your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tibetan Buddhist Art is just Divinely Lovely! So, so alluring and Majestic!
    Much Love, Samyama

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts