Reflections on 2019, My Year Abroad and Celebration at Widow's Home

As I sit here on my terrace in South India, looking out at the holy mountain Arunachala and writing this- I feel very grateful and reflective. A year ago, I was involved in real estate showings for the sale of my home.  I was paring my life down to one suitcase and streamlining my yagya service and other aspects of personal life to be totally online so I could start this journey.

I also set up this blog this time last year and wondered if I would really have the perseverance to see it through. 111 posts later and with almost 5000 views now, I feel very happy that I had this opportunity to write and share.

Things I will truly miss- simple scenes of life such as a girl leading the family cow home...

I have to say that this has been the most transformative time of my life. In reflection, I have experienced the "pairs of opposites" that comprise life in bold relief. My experiences have inspired: amazement and bewilderment, heavenly revelation and total disgust, bewilderment and clarity, pure joy and depression, abhorrence and admiration, trepidation and courageousness.

In developing countries such as India and Nepal these experiences come in rapid succession and sometimes with a reality that is very brutal to the senses, heart and mind. I feel like I have become stronger and more tolerant and definitely more flexible in my thinking and outlook on life. I have come to the conclusion that "simple is better" and I hope that I can maintain that in my transition back to the states soon.

Yesterday Anna organized a concert for the elderly widow ladies. There was a good showing of Western residents of the Ramana Ashram and we all had a good time with music, dancing and interacting with the sweet ladies.

A musician named Upahar played the guitar, tabla and harmonium to the delight of all



This incredibly thin widow near me was folded up into the smallest possible space. It was hard to draw her out but she finally gave a few smiles as the music continued. 


 Many of us (including myself) were not that much younger than some of the widows at the party.

The party was a living example of how much we need each other in this world. East and West, North and South -we all are reflections of God and together we make a beautiful whole. We each enhance and support the other's journey and miracles happen every day around us if we just let ourselves be the witness to the play of creation. If you care to help support this endeavor for old and young widows  CLICK HERE

Around 5 PM each night the streets belong to the cows and goats who are herded home before nightfall


Large copper tea pot at a roadside stand

This pair of scary looking fellows guard the door of the home of most houses in this area. Often it is just their picture over the main entrance or a representation built into the front of the house or placed on the roof. 

Their name is Drishti Pombai and they ward away evil influence from the home. 

May your New Year of 2020 be blessed and may no ill-fortune come your way in the year ahead! Sending my love and thanks for reading the blog this year and sharing my journey! 

Comments

Popular Posts