Last Visit to Pondicherry and Good-Bye to Auroville and Christmas Message of Tolerance

On Saturday I had my last visit to Pondicherry and yesterday morning I left Auroville and traveled two hours west to Thiruvannamalai also in Tamil Nadu state. The plan is to stay here until January 5th. On January 5th I will fly to Budapest and meet up with my son and his fiancee for a week trip to connect with our Eastern European heritage before I return back to the USA. (mixed feelings about that)

I had my last meditation in the Matrimandir of Auroville before I packed my bags and moved on yesterday. They always have beautiful flower offerings everywhere.

On my final visit to Pondicherry I visited the Cluny Embroidery Center. Impoverished local women are taught embroidery by the nuns at this convent. Visitors can watch them working amid the charm of a beautifully preserved French Villa. The nuns will then show the beautiful creations of the ladies stored in huge antique armoires.

At Cluny Convent Beautiful embroidered pieces are created in this beautiful preserved 1700's French Villa

Indian nuns supervise and train and market the local women's works

Women quietly chat and sing as they work creating intricate designs for table and home. 

Some examples of their works: table runners with Indian or French embroidery themes

The villa has exquisite architectural artwork everywhere

 Part of the charm of the visit is viewing the embroidery for sale in this beautiful room of original furniture. The embroidery pieces are stored in the armoires. 


Yes! I did purchase something. This placemat called to me as I took training in Bharat Natyam South Indian dance a few decades ago



I especially loved this door.


Elsewhere in Pondicherry -in the Christian sectors- preparations for Christmas were in view. Colorful stalls were selling figurines for home creche display. Baby Jesus, Mary, animals, angels etc.

This woman in prayerful supplication before a replica of the miracle at Lourdes caught my eye.


Christmas season in 80 degree weather- I am enjoying!


This colorful garden along the Seaside Promenade of Pondicherry caught my eye.


Finally this poster advocating religious tolerance was spotted by me on a back street of Pondicherry. A great message for the season.


Comments

  1. what a lovely Bouquet of Flowers. Very heartwarming! Thanks BFF Marie!
    ML - Samyama

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts