A Tour Around My Neighborhood

Since most of my days have been filled with art classes, I have not had a lot of new adventures to share with you. On the 15th, however,  I will start a 6 day, 5 night trek in the mountains here. I hope to get a lot of great photos of the mountains to post.

During the trek, I won't have steady internet (nor my computer) so I will have to share those adventures after I get back. Meanwhile, I thought I would share some of the common sights I see daily as I walk to my art classes.

Here is my apartment building. The owners live downstairs. My apartment in upstairs on the right hand side. There are two other apartments in the building. There is a satellite dish but that is the owner's. I do have Wifi.

Our building is right up against the hillside. It is away from the hustle and bustle of the busy street. View from my bedroom window.


On my way to art class, I take the back alley since it is quieter than the main road and a short cut to the art shop. Along the alley, I see the day to day life of the average Nepali as opposed to the more upscale tourist hotels and restaurants. 

Here is a typical restaurant frequented by local folks.


Here is one of many very small shops that I see every 200-300 feet along the way. The proprietors man the shops 12 hours a day or more. Often napping behind the counter and sleeping and eating in the back. They mostly sell snacks and water and a few essentials.


Chickens, dogs, cows and buffaloes freely wander the alleyway. I dodge them as I go or stop to pet my favorite dog friends.



Some of the houses along the way are quite poor.


And some are very wealthy. (Poor and wealthy are very relative terms here)


This man travels door to door looking for metal and other recyclables to buy. Some men walk the alley shouting that they can fix your rice cooker or other small appliances.


Whether poor or more affluent, all of the kids look neat and cleanly attired for school. I pass quite a few kids on their way to school.


I finally reach the main tourist drag. My art school/shop is along this street. The street travels along the edge of Phewa Lake and it is full or restaurants, hotels, souvenir shops, trekking equipment stores, trekking guide offices, food shops, bakeries, etc


Within a short walk I reach my destination for Thangka Art class. A lot of shops are this style- small cubicle with a roll down front door.


I walked home today along the busy road that runs in front of my apartment. I got behind this vendor and I remembered that I needed a few kitchen gadgets.


I asked him to stop so I could shop and I picked out a spatula, a silverware drainer, a pot scrubber and two storage containers for a total of $2.50. He had a surprising variety and very skillfully arranged. It was much more fun than shopping at Wal-Mart and I felt happy to support one of the many local people who work so hard to make a living here.


Finally, in case I have not bragged about it to you already (LOL)  here is my first piece of finished Thangka Art. I still need to trim the borders off. 



Comments

Popular Posts