Trek to World Peace Pagoda

Despite the heat (yesterday 95 F by evening) I decided that I have to get out and about more. So I headed out yesterday at 6 AM for a 2 hour hike to the World Peace Pagoda. About 1 hour of the trek was through the city to reach the hillside. Once I reached the hillside, I proceeded up a BUNCH of steps. Some gentle like this and others quite steep. Since I was going by myself, I could set my own pace with no pressure.


At one of my resting stops these kids called me over. At first I thought they were asking if I needed help (people are very friendly that way here) but THEY needed homework help. Thinking it was probably with English I said sure and came over. My palms started sweating when I saw it was math! Not wanting to let them down (or admit that I could not do 5th grade math) I took a deep breath and finally was able to show them how to add decimal numbers. I gained some admiration (he he)


The views going up to the stupa were great. I kept moving at a good pace because it was getting hotter and hotter. I was rewarded with views of Fishtail Mountain (Macchapucchre) and the rest of the Annapurna Range


Here is the World Peace Stupa (sometimes called pagoda). It was constructed after WWII by Japanese Buddhists. 

In addition to the stupa, there is a Japanese Buddhist Temple there at the summit as well as a hotel and some snack shops. I rewarded myself for the long walk by having some veggie mo-mo's - steamed dumplings with hot sauce.


 I bought a couple of Tibetan bracelets at a small shop near the stupa 
(total $5)

Since I meditated a bit at the stupa, had breakfast and did the souvenir shopping I decided it was too late and too hot to walk back down. So I descended the hill to get a boat. I did a little vlog if you would like to look and listen. You may have to click here to hear and see it. https://youtu.be/tIXJq3Aslbo


It was a long descent and I greeted a Dutch tourist group struggling up the steep steps to the stupa from the boat landing. I told them it was worth the hike. The key in this weather is to hike EARLY!

Boating Back to Pokhara- a Special Treat- Cost $7.50

The Boat Oarsman - he calls himself "Captain Nemo"

Comments

Popular Posts