Elephant Adventure at Nepal's Chitwan National Park Part 1

Hi everyone! I just got back from Tiger Tops Lodge near Chitwan National Park in Southern Nepal. The trip was one of my scheduled "off-season adventures". Since the tourist season doesn't begin until later September-there are great opportunities to be had at unbelievable discounts if you are willing to endure the heat, monsoon rains and assorted minor inconveniences.


I wanted to see elephants and I chose Tiger Tops Lodge because they offer an authentic eco-tourist experience. They are a leader in conservation in the area and their elephants are not chained, they don't give tourist rides nor safaris rides. They just enjoy life and we humans are fortunate to observe.

Tiger Tops is unique also in that the accommodations are built according to the local Tharu (indigenous local people) building methods. Clay, mud, straw and cow dung are the raw materials. The buildings are designed to attenuate the scorching heat the area is known for. There is no plastic anywhere in the lodge or on the premises. No Wifi, TV, locks on the doors etc. No A/C but there was a fan. Really peaceful. I had a frog in my room somewhere that serenaded me and a couple of small lizards- I loved it!

My room-notice the woven straw ceiling. Great wooden doors, furniture and mud/dung walls. Carpet woven by local craftspeople.

 Entry to my room. The chain attached to the door latches to the top of the door frame to keep it closed. Place for candle or lamp to the left of the door. 



Along with your room and great food, you also get your own personal naturalist and planned activities such as helping to feed the elephants, elephant jungle walks, elephant bathing in the Narayani River, etc.

Here is my naturalist Shambhu Mahato. He was born and raised in the Terai (southern plains of Nepal). He is a self taught nature expert and a master of each and every flora and fauna of the area including knowing all the Latin names. 

I was there almost by myself most of the time until the owner came with his two kids. Kristjen Edwards inherited the property about 7 years ago. His father started this lodge and quite a few others around Nepal back in the 60's when Nepal was just opening up for tourism. Kristjen's knowledge of the history of Nepal was amazing. In addition he enlightened me on many aspects of Nepal's wildlife and conservation. I had a nice time with him and his kids and he even gave me a free night's stay!

Kristjen Edwards and his daughter Freya

In Part 2 of this blog post (that I hope to get to tomorrow), I will talk about what makes elephants so unique. I will close with a couple of photo highlights from my time at Tiger Tops.

The elephants and their handlers go down to the Narayani River each morning to cut grass to supplement the elephants' diet. The elephants pass the bundles of grass up to the handler with their trunks and the handler piles them and secures them for the ride home.


The elephants each recognise about 25 commands including to lie down so their backs can be cleaned.


Watching elephants is a peaceful, majestic and astonishing experience all rolled into one. 


More tomorrow........

Comments

Popular Posts