The clothes horse confesses all : my own personal tailor for $5 an outfit

I am a clothes horse when it comes to Eastern wear. I love the three piece suits called salwaar-kameez also sometimes called punjabi suits.  This is what I wear on a daily basis when I am out and about. Wearing the local dress is a great way to win friends and blend in.

The outfits consist of tunic (kameez), comfy matching trousers (salwaar) and scarf (dupatta). The color combinations are great. The long scarf that comes with the set is multi-purpose, graceful and lovely.

Here are two of my recent acquisitions. Trousers not pictured. Total cost for each outfit with sewing about $15





One of the joys in being in India or Nepal is that you can shop for fabric and scarf sets and then take them to the tailor and have your suit custom-made for you for about $5. Here as an example of an unsewn fabric set.


After your measurements are taken, you can specify the neckline, trouser specs, length of the tunic and sleeves, etc. 

This tailor made three outfits for me. He uses a foot powered sewing machine. He makes three piece Western men's suits from scratch as well using the same machine. See woolen fabric behind him. 


One of his young sons plays at the machine. He was already weilding a sharp pair of scissors with skill at two years old (I took a deep breath as I watched). 



Dog Photo of the day

This pair of sleeping canines were slightly reminiscent of the Ying-Yang symbol. 


Comments

  1. Such bright, colorful and beautiful fabrics - such a deal!! And love the doggies shot...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts