Onwards to Pokhara, Nepal on Monday, Nepali Money and More

One major thing I am learning on this trip is to be in touch and guided by my inner feelings. When I first arrived in Kathmandu, my intention was to stay only a few days before heading west to Pokhara, Nepal. Once I got to my apartment here, I felt perhaps that I could stay in this Tibetan Buddhist part of Kathmandu since it is relatively more peaceful than the rest of the city.

But things are just not working out as planned and trusting my inner feelings, I abandoned plans to study Tibetan art here yesterday. There are not any nature areas that I can easily access and I love my daily treks. The roads that I must travel to get anywhere are so dusty and polluted-virtually everyone wears a surgical mask, ventilator or at the very least a handkerchief or scarf over their nose and mouth. So onwards to peaceful Pokhara on Monday and I will study the Tibetan Art there.

Here are a few photos of my neighborhood here in Bouddha neighborhood of Kathmandu.

 Light a butter lamp here as a prayer for a loved one or your special intention. Notice the lamps burning at the back of the room.

I buy my fruits at this colorful stall


Get your umbrella or your flip-flop sandals repaired by this diligent vendor who sits at this corner rain or shine. 


It is corn harvest season and there are vendors like this roasting corn at every corner. It is very hard kernels compared to USA sweet corn.


I get my veggies here. 


Regarding Nepali Currency: there are literally no coins exchanged. The smallest bill is 5 NPR the equivalent of $.045. The biggest bills are 1000 NPR and 2000 NPR. This is what the ATM machines dispense and then you have a heck of a time trying to find someone who can make change. 
The 1000 and 2000 notes are the only bills that are not dogeared and worn- a tell-tale sign about the economy. The equivalent in US dollars are $9 and $18 respectively

Nepalese currency with the crisp 1000 note on the top and 5, 10, 20, 50, and 100 beneath. 500 not pictured.



Comments

Popular Posts