Dealing with garbage in the crowded city of Kathmandu

I took a couple of motorcycle tours of Kathmandu. This allowed me some up close opportunities to view more of the city. I passed this recycling place several times and finally requested my driver to stop for some photos.

The bottled water industry of Kathmandu seems to be booming. 5 gallon refillable bottles are available at most small shops but a lot of water is consumed from single use liter bottles. There is no formal recycling bins to be seen anywhere in the city. The city itself is very clean however.  Sacks are available along the streets for garbage and refuse.  They are brought to centers such as this one for sorting.

Individuals open and search for plastic recycling in a dark and bad smelling warehouse. I cannot help to think of the inherent danger in this work. 


HUGE bags of sorted bottles are piled around the sorting warehouse.



Comments

Popular Posts