Gandhi Museum, Hand Woven Cloth and Local Highlights

Every afternoon after I am done working, I explore the surrounding areas by myself or with friends here at the ashram.  Here are a few interesting highlights:

I could not resist posing with this beautiful resident of Kausani. I believe that she works nearby! LOL



Mahatma Gandhi spent time in this area in the late 1920's. He wrote one on his books here. There is now a museum and ashram dedicated to him here in Kausani. He called the area "Switzerland of the East". On the grounds there is a statue of him and a great view of the hills and valleys of the area.

Yesterday we visited some woolen shops and they had a demonstration of hand loom operation. It gave me a greater appreciation of cloth- even though everything I own (for the most part) is made by machines. 

Mahatma Gandhi was a big proponent of hand spinning and weaving as a way for the population to break free of British dependence. Cloth and clothes made by hand spinning and weaving is called "khadi". The feel of the cloth is very natural and I purchased a few items. Here is man operating a hand-loom. It takes a lot of coordination and uses all the limbs.


Finally: beautiful purple flower laden Jacaranda trees are in full bloom in the area and delight the senses:



Comments

Popular Posts