Visit to Door County- Wisconsin's Hamptons

After working hard the past weeks, yesterday I packed a picnic and loaded the dog to head for the open road. I traveled up to north to get my first glimpses of Lake Michigan from its western shores. It was a wonderful day. Door County is a peninsula that extends north and east wards into Lake Michigan from the Green Bay area. 

It started with cherry picking! I was delighted to find out that cherry season has just started in Door County. The minimum amount you could pick was 5 pounds so I grabbed one of the newly sanitized pails and headed into the orchard with Lucky in tow.

Cherries are my favorite food and there was a bumper crop! It only took a few minutes to fill a pail!



Then I headed to Potawatomi State Park because my hiking book said there were some great trails there. We were not disappointed! Lucky had the time of his life swimming in the pristine waters and we enjoyed miles of silent pine needle padded trails along Lake Michigan.

Panorama view from our picnic area at Potawatomi State Park

Me and best adventure friend.

Another panoramic view from the trail

Charming and silent lakeside trail


Am I in heaven? Yes I love the Great Lakes! I was born near the shores of Lake Erie. I am in my element here.


Lucky is a fearless swimmer and he swam all day.


Then we headed further north to Sturgeon Bay. I enjoyed seeing the shipbuilding going on.


A fair number of shipwrecks are commemorated along the way


So happy to see seagulls again... 
I loved this sassy guy enforcing the rules!


Then we drove to the eastern side of the peninsula to Lakeside Park. The water was even more clear and sparkling there. There is so much more to explore in Door County. We concentrated on the nature spots because of the virus and we have lots more adventures planned-stay tuned!




Comments