Trip to Sarangkot Part 2- What Goes Up Must Come Down-OUCH

The visit to Sarangkot was fulfilling in that I had been looking wistfully up at the mountain for some weeks and I finally visited and saw the paragliding up close. But what goes up, must come down. And I find that in hiking, down is usually worse.
The shock on the knees, shins, ankles on the descent takes a toll. The hike down to Pokhara city from the top of Sarangkot is either accomplished through a 2.5 hour gradual descent on the road or a grit-your-teeth-and-bear-it descent down an uneven stone staircase.
Since I had dilly-dallied at the top visiting a zipline station, having a snack and talking with some folks I met, it was already noon and boiling hot. So I decided to test my mettle and take the stairs. The sign at the top of the stairs said one hour to the city but it took me almost two.

Here was the halfway point in my descent. From time to time I was startled by paragliders whooshing past.

 
The steps are not for the faint of heart. Their irregularity is challenging. You cannot break your concentration because each step is made of several uneven stones at different heights. Some steps you have to ease yourself down using your hands or hop down.

Plus very few people walk down the mountain. The path is not well marked and the stairs disappear and reappear periodically. I had to backtrack several times to find someone who could confirm the way.

Here is a short vlog from my trip down and some good video of paragliders. Click here to view https://youtu.be/uAEuKQQwV1M


At one point,  I ran into a problem created by the construction of a cable car up the mountain. The cable car system is not yet operational. However, in installing this support pictured below, they destroyed a big part of the stairs going down and did not bother to replace it! An added challenge to the already difficult descent.

Cable Car Support- Not Yet Operational

I don't think I was in any real danger going down. But I had to keep reminding myself during the descent not to panic and that I could do it. It was a good test for me. My legs were shaking from the repetitive motion of tackling each step but I made it with just a few blisters. I hobbled to a restaurant had a banana lassi and a great salad. I used the napkin as a bandaid for my blisters and enjoyed the 45 minute walk back to my apartment.

Supposedly the longest zipline descent in the world starts from here at the top of Sarangkot.


The zip line ends way down there somewhere!


Say hello to my little lizard friend from my room. Hopefully he will get nice and big snacking on mosquitos and spiders.  Goodbye for now and thanks for tuning in!

Comments

Popular Posts