The Joys and Travails of Being a Solivagant

I recently discovered that there is a specific term for a solo traveler such as myself. I am a solivagant! Here is the definition: A person who revels in the act of wandering alone–preferably in destinations and locations they have not previously visited. In researching the word I came upon this women's website called One Million Women Walking. I am completely sold on walking/hiking as a means for self-exploration and overall health!




From time to time I reflect on the benefits and drawbacks of being a solo woman traveller. On the positive side I am a free agent and can go by my inner feelings about what to do and where to go at any moment. But there is a challenging side of that. I have to stay in tune with myself on every level: mental, physical, emotional and financial. So I don't overextend myself on any level because I only have myself to rely on. At the same time I like to continue to test my boundaries! So it is a fine line.

Also I have learned a lot from traveling in India in Nepal: never be overly friendly to any man no matter their age. Western women are looked on as being loose and the usual friendliness I would like to express can lead to trouble. I never mention that I am traveling alone. If I am asked, I say my son is waiting for me in the hotel or my husband will be joining me shortly. 

Other helpful hints to the solo woman traveler: Always have two debit/credit cards. In one, just keep a modest balance in case your card gets hacked. Use that one for your working card. Transfer money to that card from your other card as needed.

Research, research, research! Check online for reviews, consult with fellow travellers and do your due diligence so you know exactly where you are going and how to get there. I feel safe 95% of the time because I do my research.

Down side of the solivagant: not having anyone to share the journey! Blogging helps with that. It does also however lead me to interact more with locals at shops and restaurants and I am able to meet and hear the local point of view that is fascinating and enlightening. At the basis, we all have the same joys, trials and tribulations all around the globe! 

I am currently taking a few days of panchakarma Ayurvedic treatments here in Pokhara. I will be traveling on the 26th to Chitwan National Park for an elephant adventure. Stay tuned. 





Comments

Popular Posts