Nesting in Beautiful Pokhara, Nepal

I am now in beautiful Pokhara, Nepal. I visited Pokhara last October and enjoyed it a lot here. It is a beautiful nature area with views of the Annapurna Himalayan Range. On a clear day or in the very early morning, the beautiful Machapuchare Mountain as well as other Annapurna peaks are visible on the horizon.

 Fewa Lake at twilight in Pokhara


Along with the mountains, Fewa Lake is the centerpiece nature destination of the city. You can boat for leisure there (no motors allowed) or hire a ferryman to reach various destinations including temples and resorts along the lake.

Pokhara is a hub for outdoor adventures of all kinds. The sky is filled with paragliders and ultralight airplanes. In the very early morning the air is humming with helicopters taking trekkers to start their circuits in the Himalayan ranges.

Right now it is monsoon season so there are less trekkers and hence less tourists. In a month or so the city will be filled with people from around the world rendezvousing to start week and month long treks. Trekking guides ply the sidewalks trying to drum up business. Locals are hawking on every corner and walkway: slices of coconut,  baked goods, Tibetan handmade jewelry and trinkets.

The lodging is already getting booked up in anticipation of the trekking season. I secured an Airbnb apartment for a month- sucking it up to pay $15 a night as opposed to the $10 I paid in Kathmandu.

The cost of living is definitely higher here although much lower than a US destination city. There is a lot more to do here. I rented a bicycle for a month and enjoy some nice hiking destinations. Most hikes are a minimum of 2-4 hours round trip from my place. The traffic and pollution are less and there are more continental food choices available (albeit at costs comparable to the USA).

I also came here to learn Tibetan art and I may start that soon. I also came here to study Vedic chanting. More on that in next post.....



Comments

  1. Study Vedic Chanting? Wow! I lost my chanting voice in 1991, after chanting for 12 hours straight aloud for 7 years. Lord! It will be very lovely to be able to chant aloud again. Do you know if it can be done again? I know that the Lord loves a heart that loves with its Absolute Might! May be one day, my Chanting Voice will come back nurtured and nourished, after resting in the Bosom of The Saints and the Sages of the World! ML - Samyama

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment